Wild Child Forest School: Hiring Environmental Educator
Part Time Position
We are looking for someone magical with children to help deliver PEI’s first forest school program in Charlottetown. Our ideal candidate would love being outside in all weathers and enjoys playing with kids, with an eye for safety and risk management.
About Sierra Club Canada Foundation
Sierra Club Canada Foundation empowers people to protect, restore and enjoy a healthy and safe planet. SCCF’s objective is to protect and restore the health of the natural environment, including communities, by empowering Sierra Club members and its citizens through education and action.
Wild Child Forest School is a project of Sierra Club Canada Foundation that provides child led, play-based learning through repeated exposure to nature. At forest school we empower children to take the lead on their learning in a natural setting over time, which may mean getting wet, dirty, making stuff with tools, and learn to extend their limits in a thoughtful and intentional way.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
As part of the staffing team, you will:
- Contribute to the development & delivery Wild Child Forest School programming with the local PEI Wild Child Projects Coordinator
- Support the development of a child’s ability to navigate risks
- Mediate conflicts between participants maintaining dignity and respect for everyone involved
- Ensure proper protocols and Safe Work Practices are enacted
- Foster curiosity and excitement about nature
- Maintain session notes and contributions to social media platforms
In order to qualify for an Environmental Educator position, we would like for you to have:
- Some post-secondary training in a relevant area (Early Childhood Education, Science, Psychology, Education, etc.) or sufficient qualifying experience
- Be an excellent communicator and team player
- Have previous experience working with children
- Love of nature and being outside in it
- Have a positive fun attitude, yet professional approach.
- Ability to carry heavy gear and equipment, when required.
- Ability to get to and from the different work sites.
Applicants must also be prepared to provide a clean Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screen and a clear Child Abuse Registry Search.
Valid First Aid with AED/CPR-C or Wilderness First Aid would be considered an asset.
Dates and Times of Work:
It will be a 7 week, part-time position, from May 7th to June 23th, 18.5hrs/week, except no Saturday work/program on May 19th due to the May long weekend:
Tuesday mornings from 8:45-12:15 (Bomber Callaghan Park)
Wednesday mornings from 8:45-12:15 (Robert Cotton Park)
Thursday mornings 8:45-12:15 (Beach Grove)
Saturday from 8:45am -4:14pm (Bomber Callaghan)
Possibility of extension.
Due Date: April 17th, or until positions are filled.
Questions regarding the position can be directed to email@example.com, or 902-940-2263.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your education, experience and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.